Re: Children

I tend to agree with the person that said it is a good idea for children to
ride bareback.  Of course, this will really only work for kids that are on
ponies.  I grew up with ponies and never used a saddle.  Teaches a child good
basics like centered riding (didn't even know what that was when I was a kid
but you had to do it or fall off), sitting down on the back (and later in the
saddle). Pretty hard to get your butt up  in the air with no stirrups to stand
in, easier to use leg aids for kids as they tend to have less leg power and
the pony can read the cues easier with nothing in between.

And it does sound safer in general however, I think if your child is starting
to ride on a fairly large horse (relative to them at least) you will need to
look at options other than bareback as their legs will not reach around the
horse far enough to let them gain balance.

Just my thoughts from my experience.

Lori