Re: Children

> I also have a three year old daughter that is starting to express an
> interest, and I would like to know about stirrups as well. I have a
> small (pony-sized) western saddle for her to start off in, but her feet
> won't reach the stirrups for years!
>
> Karen, if anyone has given you great suggestions, please share!
>
> Kelli Hjelmeland
> Manitoba, Canada

I think it was in State Line's western catalog, but we bought a
contraption that it essentially a pair of child's stirrups and tapaderos
that lay over the top of an adult saddle and is just the right size for
little ones.  It was about $55 but well-made and IMO, worth it.  It's
designed to fit over a western saddle's horn, but on our OF saddles, we
just used two old nylon puppy collars and strapped them down to the
pommel and they're fine.  They adjust short enough for very small kids
and long enough until they're ready for "real" stirrups.  Lila Marie is
just five and is a little timid about riding up there alone, so we also
tied some small clips to pieces of shoelaces and run them between the
rear dee rings and her jean's belt loops---if she ever really fell,
they'd give way and she wouldn't get hung up, but provide just a little
bit of extra support until she has a little more balance and confidence.

Good luck!

Susan Garlinghouse