Re: Yearbook

On Fri, 29 May 1998 00:03:07 EDT, Merryben@aol.com wrote:

>Are Trilby and I the only ones who noticed that the usual articles written by
>the national champions are not in the yearbook like they used to be?  Or are
>we the only ones complaining about it.  It seems that since they had from the
>end of the ride year until April, some 4 months, the yearbook could have at
>least been complete.  The year I won the HW division, it was great fun to see
>my stuff in the yearbook.  Trilby would have liked to see her article in the
>yearbook.  When you want to look up stuff about 1997 are you going to look in
>your 1998 EN.  I think not....Maryben

I think this is due in part to the proliferation of "National
Champions" over the years.  When I started riding there was *one*
National Champion, who gave a speech at the Convention and was
prominently featured in the Yearbook.  Plus, a National Junior
Champion.  Then we added National Best Condition Champion, National
100 Mile Champion, and National Mileage Champion.  Each a good
recognition in its own right, and still not too large a number.

Then we went to weight divisions, and we had six National Champions
(Lightweight, Heavyweight, and Junior, plus the others).  Then we
expanded to three weight divisions, and then to four.  So now we have
eight National Champions.

This year at the Convention I think I was the sole voice recommending
not adding 50 Mile National Champions to the mix.  I understand the
wish for the folks who don't ride 100's to get recognition -- but that
will mean THIRTEEN National Champions!

One effect of all this is loss of respect and recognition for the
National Champions.  Back when we had one Senior and one Junior,
everyone knew their names, and their horses' names!  How many
ridecampers came name all of the National Champions for 1997 (without
looking them up)?  How many can name half of them?

I feel that going to four weight divisions was a mistake, that three
was a good balance.  I'd like to see us go back to three weight
divisions.  I'd also like to see some means of having, once again, a
single senior horse/rider team (and one junior) that are recognized as
THE "National Champion Endurance" for a given year.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net