Multi-Answers

Hi everyone..... guess I could be known as a lurker since I seldom post,
but tonite there were just TOO many things I had to address.  For those
of you who don't know me, I've ridden since 1981, almost 17,000 miles of
competition, 3 Ntl Championships, International riding & won a Gold
Medal in Endurance at the World Nature Games this past year.  I have
ridden in what I truly feel is the worst of the worst weather
perimeters... heat & constant humidity of the south-south.  I've seen
half the field of a 50 miler treated on a New Year's Day ride in
Houston, including the winner & the last 12 hour finisher.  I've watched
horses go down & die (on trail, or days or weeks later) due to heat
exhaustion and lack of knowlege on how to prevent & then how to treat.
I feel part of the success of our southern horses when they go out of
region is our conditioning factor is so much greater for less time
spent.  Anyway.... here's a series of responses to several subjects that
have come up lately..   Sorry to take up so much space, but I
promise.... won't do it often.

CHEAP PADDING FOR TRAILERS:
The cushy rubber mats are great & super if you can afford.... but
alternative to is to take flattened cardboard boxes & put under your
regular mats.  Its only good for one trip, but afterwards just pull them
out (they'll probably be wet & soggy since they are absorbant too), and
toss them away.  Then get more free boxes to crush for the next trip.
Personally, I like lots of shavings too.  Be sure & take an extra bag
for the return trip if you are traveling for several days.

MY 2 CENTS ON P/R PEOPLE----  I was there when Bo Parrish started 15
maybe 16 years ago.  I've watched him become more astute than most vets
(especially new ride vets), over those years.  As he sometimes is not as
inundated as the vet may be at a ride, he watches and observes the
horses/riders when they are not just showing for the vet, but standing
in line or at their trailer.  He can catch a hitch, a cramp, a glazed
eye (small things), quicker than most vets and way ahead of the majority
of riders.  I'm sure every region has one or two of these highly
specialized P/R people.  Admire them, use them, and be thankful for
them.  'Nuf said!!

TO L. EISELE:
Wow!!!! Human electrolytes... I've been beating the KM drum so long in
my circles, I'm always amazed that the rest of the world has not heard.
KM is an amazing liquid & (now available in new capsule) potassium
supplement from a company called Matol.  I have been supplementing
myself in hot, humid hundreds with this natural herbal concoction for
over 10 years.  I have shared it with tons of fellow fried brains on
trail, leg cramping competitors, begging to pull pussies, and dehydrated
dragons.... seriously guys,   a bottle  32 oz cost about $40 (includes
shipping), you need about 1/2 oz per 25 miles, so will last a long
time.  It taste awful, but U get used to it... almost crave it.... it
works in 5 minutes or less in most cases... I take a swig at every vet
check (in hot humid races) and try to head off the fried brain before it
gets to me.  Have brought people back from the brink of heat stroke and
quitting so many times I can't even tell you.  Let me know if you want
some as its only sold thru distributors like myself (or you may become
one too.)

To FERN BAILEY, VICKIE JOHNSON & RUTH ABAIR:
Saddles... what a delima.... I have ridden two types consistently over
the past 17 years and have found much satisfaction with each of them
depending on the type of horse I was riding.  Both the Sharon Saare
(western type) & the Ortho-Flex (many types) offer the flexibility to
fit many different types of horses & people.  Please contact me directly
if you would like more specific information on either of these two
incredible endurance saddles.  The price may be a bit more than some....
but as the old saying goes.... "You get what you pay for!!!"

TO FABIO MANZETTI:
Hi Fabio, Darolyn Butler here.  I have produced about 10 or 12 event
coverages of major endurance competitions, including world & National
events.  Also have an instructional video on Endurance made with Dr.
Dane Frazier & Dr. Matthew McKay-Smith.  That one covers just about
everything, & the event coverages show it in action with very graphic
narration that explains what is going on.  You may e mail me personally
for a complete list of those videos as well as about 24 other equine
instructional videos.  Also some of them on Horseshop!!

To JACQUELINE MANSFIELD & WINZA:
Having had almost every kind of tendon injury going at one time or
another in 17,000 miles of competition, I would suggest you still ice
the leg twice a day if convenient.  Also the magnet therapy has proved
quite helpful to me in reducing swelling.  Even old swelling.  If he
isn't running and stressing himself, I agree that leaving him out of the
box stall is the best bet as well.  Another remedy I have used in the
past is a DMSO sweat (table spoon of DMSO with 1/4 cup furizine (sp).
Paint it on the leg, wrap with plastic or saran wrap, quilt & polo wrap,
overnite.  Ice again first thing in the morn.  Try that for 3 days, plus
the magnets & see if you don't see a difference.

Sure enjoy ridecamp fellow riders...  come see us in Texas... see
humidity first hand.....
Challenging Trails....             Darolyn Butler/Cypresswood Stables