vet check question

> 	How many rides out there think that P/R personnel shouldn't interact
> with the vets? Good P/R people can become a great asset to the vets,
> IMO. A good P/R person knows what is going on around the horse and
> evaluates the entire situation before sending/taking the horse to the
> vet.

I think a P&R person should make note of things that the vet may need to
see/know.  I have been riding endurance since 1991, and have been
volunteering at rides since about the same time.  I have seen people hide
things from the vets, things that *I* as a pulse taker/P&R person noticed
and noted in my head.  After watching a horse go down after the vets did
not catch what the rider KNEW already, I decided that from then on, I
would let the vets know if there was a chance the horse might be having
trouble. I know for sure I don't want it on my head if a horse gets into
trouble simply because the owner is hot for finishing tops.

It does happen that horses are slooooow to recover for several reasons
that may not be stress related.  I have one of those horses.  But, if a
horse takes 25 minutes to meet criteria, I want the vets to know that.  I
also want the vets to know that the horse may have been waxing and waning.
I ALSO would like to know that if I ever suffer from DIMR to the point
that I care more about points than if my horse is in trouble that some P&R
person will pick up on it.  The vets are usually very busy, they see the
horse for a brief period of time.  At a lot of our rides, the P&R people
are there seeing the riders cooling off the horses and trying to meet
criteria.
We are all in it for the same thing--fun and companionship, and hopefully
great
care for the horses, whether we are riders, crews, volunteers, or
veterinarians!  and also whether we are back of the pack riders, or top
ten finishers!  right?

samm--team coujur