1998 AERC Dues

I read every ridecamp and occasionally write when I believe I have
something of importance to contribute.  This is one of those times.  Due
to the turmoil and confusion resulting from the short term and operating
methods of our last Executive Director, AERC has a problem that only you
can help with.

In an effort to save money, your 1998 membership renewals were printed in
the Endurance News rather than mailed to you.  Most of our members picked
up on this and mailed in their renewals, but many completely missed the
renewal form.  If you are like me (God help you), if it is not right in
front of you then it isn't noticed -  I think this has happened.  I asked
our new ED, Doyle Patrick to send me a list of SW Region delinquent AERC
members and nearly everyone I contacted thought they had paid their
dues...until they checked their files....two were old time Ride Managers
who have already managed their 1998 rides.  This was truly a case of "by
saving a penny we have cost ourselves a dollar".

I want to make this clear, and you will know who I am speaking to...this
is not a case, or the time, to start swinging the axe.  It was a poor
decision to not send out personal reminders of membership renewal, but
whoever made this decision did so in an attempt to save money for AERC
and ultimately for you. The 1998 ride season is still young and now is
the time to check your files and make sure you renewed your membership.
As a courtesy and a reminder, your Regional Directors will be calling
you, at their own expense.  If you have a gripe or a compliment, that is
the time to express it (quickly I might add since it is on your
Director's dime).

For the very same reasons I mentioned in the first part of this letter,
some members listed as delinquent actually did pay their dues on time.
And, some people have received their membership information, etc. and
their checks were never deposited.  As best we can tell, thru no fault of
any present employee or AERC member, some checks were lost.  If your
check has not cleared in what you would consider as adequate time,
contact the office and/or write another check.

Endurance is an honor system sport with family atmosphere......and like
all families, we have a responsibility to take care of our own.  Your
dues being current is a family matter that needs to be taken care of.

Randy Eiland

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]