Twisted gut?

 Two weeks ago I received an incredible shock and I'm hoping to take advantage
of the vast expertise and experience of those on this list.

I've been living with a varying number of Arabians (3 - 12 depending on the
month) since last September.  As I was making the rounds for the evening
feeding, I found the  7 year old mare, who foaled in late January, dead.

She seemed fine in the morn (about 8am) and had eaten most of her morning
feed.  There was no coughing, runny noses or any other signs of illness prior.
She was a bit skinny after birthing and didn't seem to put on weight readily.
I was feeding her about 40% more than the other horses but not really huge
amounts.  She always finished what I gave her.

A few weeks prior, she received a week of psyillium husks to help with any
possible sand colic (as did the other 7 horses).  We just received a new batch
of hay (alfalfa) but it was from the same place we had received the last batch
and all the other horses were fed it as well.  Sweet grain was usually given
about 3-4 nights per week but we had run out about two weeks prior and were in
no hurry to get more since the weather was getting hotter (I'm in AZ) and most
of the other horses were starting to show a big belly.  She was drinking
regularly (we had barrels and she was separated from the other horses - except
the baby - so I was able to monitor her intake).  She was in a 20 x 20 stall
with an outside area of about 50 x 50.

When we talked with the vet, he just said "Sounds like a twisted gut.  Not
uncommon a few months after a mare gives birth."

It sounded reasonable, but when I talked with my neighbor who has been
breeding Arabians for over twenty five years, she said that she's heard about
twisted guts but never knew any horse to actually have one.  As I checked with
more folks - some ranchers with experience with hundreds of horses - everyone
said the same thing  ---- they heard about it but never had it happen to them
or anyone they knew.

I'm now worried sick about the rest of the horses.  All seem fine but so did
she.  I don't know if I was missing something or it's just one of those weird
twists of fate (no pun intended).

There was about 10 hours between when she seemed fine and I found her dead.
She was quite bloated so I'm thinking she must have been dead for about at
least 5 -6 hours before I discovered her.

Has anyone else ever had something like this happen?  A twisted gut??  Can
colic claim a horse so fast? Could it be something else??

I realize this is a bit off topic so feel free to respond privately if you
wish.  Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!  I'm still pretty shaken up by
this and my confidence in caring for the other horses is pretty shattered.

Joe Z