P&R personnel

When I wanted to get started in endurance I found a local ride and
volunteered.  I had never taken pulse with a stethoscope (or any other way) so
I got a quickie demonstration and I was on my way.  It was a rainy, cold,
blustery day and RM. had set up a tent to do pre-ride check-ins.  The first
horse to be checked by me stood still as a statue as I counted the beats in 15
secs.  I consulted my cheat sheet to see what my figure times 4 would be and
declared "96."  The vet looked peeved and gently pushed me aside to take the
pulse himself.  After listening for at least a minute he looked at me and said
"By god, you're right.  This mare must be scared to death of the flapping
tent."  I went from terribly embarrassed greenhorn to P&R professional in an
instant!

It would be a perfect world if all the P&R staff were distance riders and/or
trained at taking P&Rs.  I have been at rides where I had to show someone how
to use the stethoscope (the earpieces should be pointing down into your
skull).  I have also helped check in other riders after my horse has been
vetted in.  This only points out that volunteers are the lifeblood of most
rides.  Distance riders do your part and volunteer at as many rides as you
can!  Even if you plan to ride you can help RM out by training the P&R
volunteers before ride day.  The better trained the volunteers the smoother
the ride goes for everybody including you.

Melanie in AZ