Re: Vet check question.

K S Swigart wrote:

> What I don't want them doing is telling me how (or whether) I should or
> should not be riding my horse. And they shouldn't be trying to b ride
> vets.  IT is the job of the vet and/or the rider to determin if a horse is
> fit to continue. It is the job of the P&R people to take P&R's.
>
> If a novice rider (or any other rider for that matter) ASKS for the P&R
> person's opinion about the condition of their horse, by all means provide
> it...but this opinion should, IMO, never be volunteered.
>
> kat
> Orang County, Calif.

At TERA sponsored endurance rides, we care about the welfare of the
horse. If any of our ride personnel think a horse may be in trouble, we
encourage them to contact one of the ride vets with this information.
All of our vets are in agreement with this type of action. We mostly
have very knowledgeable pulse takers, so the vets are not bothered with
very many false alarms. Any rider who cares about the welfare of their
horse would appreciate this type of help, IMO.
Bottom line - the Vets always have the final decision as to which horse
is fit to continue and ride management stands behind them. We just do
not want a horse in trouble to have to wait in line before a vet sees
them.

Linda Parrish
Kennard, TX