Pulses/dogs

 Here in the southeast, SEDRA  now requires all  CRI volunteers to be
certified, since there has been  some problems at rides in the past.  Part of
the program instructs the CRI trainees to contact the vet for
problems/conerns....(just some reinforcement incase volunteers are too shy).
A few years ago  my friend Eileen, a long time SEDRA competitor was having
trouble with her gelding Sammy (Crimson Zarr) and fast heart rates depsite
excellent conditioning.  Finally at one ride she was able to make it to my PR
check .  ( I've been a critical care nurse for 14years)  Without question
Sammy was in a rapid paroxsymal atrial fib......didn't need an EKG.....I
grabbed the vet who agreed......when in this rapid afib Sammies rate would hit
160. ........ironically this only happens in competition for him!
Regarding dogs.......they are a major problem here in Jupiter Farms........as
are the dirt bikes and  ATC's.  My mare could careless about the bikes and
atc's and most of the dogs....but lots of  times it does get out of
control.....I ALWAYS turn her to  face them and take a few steps in their
direction....if they are nasty enough they get yelled at and I raise my bug
swatter at them.  (bamboo handle and horsehair tail)  My trainer has had to
use pepper spray on a dalmation that bit my mare....I have also had to carry a
squirt gun with water and vinegar mix.  Sometimes when I turn and move on I
wish I had a rearview mirror!

Kathy
Jupiter,Fl