Re: Navicular disease

>> but how can you compete a nerved horse in

>So what other things are not allowed?  Blind horses?  Deaf horses?
>Horses that have natural nerve damage that keeps them from feeling
>some
>portion of their foot, leg etc?
>
>Not being a smarta**, just want to know....

I think it was Jim Baldwin DVM who wrote about this a couple of years
ago.  His opinions would hold more weight than mine.  Can't remember if
he was saying it wasn't exactly illegal and should be, or what.  Maybe
someone else can call up his argument.

I've only had one experience with a "nerved" horse.  My cousin had a very
nice App mare that had set a track record at Pompano Park.  His daughter
thought it would be smart to race her past my friend and me on pavement.
She fractured her coffin bone if I recall correctly.  There was nothing
they could do to make her sound...so they had her nerved so that they
could use her as a broodmare.  The fact that she could no longer feel her
foot certainly did not heal the bone, it just hid the injury.  Now, let's
say that this mare only had faint navicular problems, was nerved, and
then fractured a coffin bone...how would you know?  A vet may say that
you could tell.  I don't know, but if it's illegal to put the green
alcohol on your horse, or a steroid cream, can you imagine them letting
you ride a horse that was nerved?

I think the question of blind horses...deaf horses, etc. would fall under
the usual definition of sound.  Does it affect his ability to go down the
trail?  I think a really bad rider is a bigger handicap.  Maybe rider's
equitation should be judged under the "fit to continue" rule.

Angie & Kaboot