BIG FEET!!

I have been riding an Appaloosa gelding that has the biggest feet I have
ever seen.  They are just big and flat.  Anyone have any ideas on what
affects this could have on his ability to run endurance or LD rides?  I
took him on a CTR and he hadn't really had much conditioning.  We
completed but, I don't think we got very good scores.  Of course I
haven't ever done a CTR and don't really know what criteria they go by.
Anyways, one of the judges said that he trotted out like he was on  wet
pavement whatever that's supposed to mean. I figure it wasn't a
compliment!!  Other than looking huge, there doesn't seem to be any
soundness problems although they did deduct 8 points for lameness.  Any
ideas...

Thanks,
Angie