Re: electrolyte supplementation

In a message dated 98-04-29 21:01:39 EDT, mlinding@uoguelph.ca writes:

<< Heidi, you state fact here. But what is the evidence? I know of no
 evidence that they become more efficient (lose less electrolytes) with
 training. I do know that may horses lose the ability to sweat effectively
 with training, sometimes resulting in anhydrosis. this cannot be equated
 with improved efficiency. >>

Sorry to be slow with a reply to this.  I am not a good academic in that I
don't save my references, but I know there were several papers done on this
subject several years ago (while I was a student) that we looked at in our
physiology classes.  The numbers were in the magnitude of 1/10 the amount of
electrolyte per volume of sweat in well-conditioned horses vs. unconditioned
horses.  I have to say that my own experience in real life would underscore
this research--I am not so quantitative, but I DO know that in my
unconditioned horses, the sweat tastes salty, and in my fit horses, I often
cannot detect a salty taste to their sweat.  Also, their sweat evaporates much
more cleanly, leaving very little residue on their skin, as opposed to the
salty residue left on the less fit horses.  Anhydrosis is not a problem--they
sweat plenty.

Heidi