RE: vosal/standing martingale

I never had the bad head tossing problem, but my horse did have a
problem with the bit at first.   I have had very good luck with the John
Lyons methods of working with the bit.  After you get his teeth (look
for wolf teeth as well) and body frame checked for any physical causes,
you may want to try the full-cheek or loose-ring snaffle.  Let him just
wear it (keeping a good eye on him obviously so he doesn't catch it on
something) and get used to the feeling of it.  Then, do some schooling
in an enclosed area where you pick up one rein until he gives to you
even a centimeter and release, then the other.  Usually head tossing in
my experience is an evasion technique the horse has learned either from
pain or to avoid a constant pull on himself from the rider.  Though you
may have not started this behavior, it may now be a habit for him, and
he has to relearn through immediate release when he gives or drops his
head.  It takes some time and a lot of work on the part of the rider
too, but believe me, it has worked for me, and I much prefer to not use
added "control" equipment as opposed to addressing the root cause of a
problem.  It has also reduced my stress on the trail because I know he
understands me.  In addition, when you're moving him and you want him to
drop his head, remember to drive him into the bit with your legs so he
gets his hindquarters under him  while keeping a light but firm hold of
the reins.  Remember to release as soon as his head goes down, even if
it's part of the head tossing.  Don't know if any of this will help, but
you might try if you have the ambition.