vet fees

I am one of those riders who values the limited distance rides after a lay up
or obviously as a conditioning tool.  The main reason (which is why I
recommend it so strongly) is because of the vets.  I can map out a 25 mile
ride complete with stops and water but I can't have a knowledgeable vet on
hand to evaluate all the parameters like I do at a sanctioned ride.  Having an
experienced ride vet give your horse 3 (minimum) checkups is worth every penny
of an entry fee.
This shouldn't let the rider off the hook for keeping tabs on his/her horse
before, during, or after the ride.  Learn how to evaluate cap refill, mucus
membranes, hydration and gut sounds so you have an idea of what is normal for
your horse.  I have learned more about the above from 1) volunteering as vet
sec. or p/r person; 2) hanging around at pre-ride and at the end of ride
asking questions about horses being vetted in.  I try to be diplomatic about
the questions asked so as not to offend the rider or put the vet in an akward
situation.  No telling tales out of school!!  It goes without saying that I
don't interrupt an examination and I don't try to influence the judgment of
the vet (as though I could--HA!).  Sometimes it amounts to polite
eavesdropping.  I hope there aren't any rules out there I'm breaking!  If this
is done for info and learning, not for gossip, it can teach so much.

Anyway, this is my tribute to the people who make this sport possible.  I
realize the original post was about Coggins fees but I just wanted to brown
nose the vets on line!  Thank God my grades weren't good enough to get into
vet school or I wouldn't have time to ride (like most vets I know).

Melanie in AZ