Re: COMFORTABLE RIDING

John B. Ayers wrote:

> I started riding for the first time in May 1997 at the tender age of 66.

Good for you!!!!

<  I'd like to pass on my experience to the recent postings on the subject.  The
following <  came about by trial AND errorYou're right on target for this
stuff!  I wish somebody had told me this stuff when I was just starting out.
(OTOH, there wasn't much specialized tack for endurance/CTR then.)

> The HORSE had to come first...this Arab is VERY sensitive to tack!!

Also, what works great at 25 miles can be trouble at 50 or 100 miles.  You may
still need to tweak your gear a bit in the future.  (Smile - you're not done
shopping yet!)

> 8. Took Ibuprofen before, during, and after the ride.

Ibuprofen should not be taken if you are dehydrated as it can cause decreased
renal perfusion (blood flow to the kidney) and kidney damage.  I take it before
the ride and then several hours after the ride (after LOTS of fluids).  I do
drink well during rides, but it still doesn't seem to be enough to make up the
fluid I lose.  (Picture my crew handing me 20 oz cups of a 50:50 mix of
lemonaide and gatorade - VERY large crew member who says "Drink, or else!")

Keep up the good work, John!  Will we ever see you come down for the Old
Dominion in Virginia?  (The top ride on the East Coast!)  It's a ton of fun -
Usually 2nd weekend in June.

Linda