rilding out after an accident

Definitely not fun.  I rode out of the Pasayten Wilderness in Washington
after breaking all the ribs on my left side.  We carry a radio and
couln't make contact even though my husband went up the nearest peak.  I
took all the pain pills I had and some more provided by a nurse we met
on the trail.  Took three days to get out-the nights in the tent were
the worst part-then the doctor in Twisp just said take pain pills and
you'll feel better in about six weeks.  By then I was sure I hadn't
punctured a lung and they tested me for kidney and spleen damage.  One
summer we carried a cell phone all over the North Cascades just to see
if we could call out.  Tried lots of times and never once got through.
Don't count on a cell phone!  I recommend first aid training, a good
first aid kit, and a supply of pain pills.