Re: KICKING

John, in my experience you should train your horse to consistently respond to
YOU when you are together.  You do this by teaching him to drop his head and
listen to you.  When you see him making signs like pinning his ears or any
other antisocial behavior you immediately ask him to drop his head and step
his hind quarters over to one side or the other.  His is then focused on you
and cannot devote his attention to kicking, biting  etc.  I have a VERY
opinionated, strong-willed filly who has recently discovered bucking and
rearing.  When I have her under saddle and she begins to make signs of wanting
to do-her-own-thing I make her drop her head, step her hind quarters over and
continue on with what we were doing.  Never once has she bucked or reared with
me up, (Not that she hasn't wanted to try, maybe.)  Whenever she wants to do
anything other than her schooling she will find herself doing circles or hind-
end stepping.  I know it all sounds very basic and boring, and it is certainly
not a quick fix for that ride you HAVW