Re:Syd Hill Saddles

Hi Shannon, and welcome to ridecamp!
I am glad to be answering your questions, just so everyone will have some
thing else to read about besides trailering and regulations involving it.
Everyone means well and there is alot of great information but I dont trailer
much, so havent bothered with most of it.
In regards to Syd Hill saddles, I have been riding in one for about 2 years, I
LOVE it. Its a little heavy by endurance standards,( 37 lbs including pistol
and holster- and please dont ask about that, except maybe privatley, we've
beaten that dead horse already) but I will put up with the weight for the
comfort of my horse and I.   My horse is a hard fit, I got the wide tree and
shim it in the front with felt slipped between the panels and the tree. Works
great, no problems. I have the fender leathers and use EZ Rider stirrups which
are worth their weight in gold.
The saddle has a standard western rigging which I prefer over aussie as it is
easier, and I can use any girth. I use all Biothane tack other than the
saddle, so the extra care of the leather saddle isnt so over-whelming.
I started out with copy- aussies about 10 years ago. I loved them but they are
NOT a saddle to buy unless you have a VERY narrow horse. I then rode about 5
years in an aussie Wintec with a wide tree.  It was a nice little saddle, but
very different from my Syd Hill.  The Syd Hill is so much more secure, and the
poleys are set in a better place. They offer alot more support, especially on
those steep down-hills at a fast trot.
I have big heavy leather saddle bags that I hang off the back, full of stuff
for those long training rides.  I havent had any problems with the saddle not
holding up to the abuse I throw at it continuously.  I highly recommend them.
If you need a catalog, E-mail me for it.
As for books on endurance, I have Go The Distance by Nancy Loving. It is a
great resource.
Keep reading ridecamp,it's a great resource too!
Julie and Rayna
Brush Prairie, Wa