Re: Books

Dear Linda,
    You make some excellent points.  I guess what I meant was that though I
have read other endurance books, I still like the Tellington-Jones one best.
Probably more for "style of writing" than actual information though . . . and
"style of writing" won't do much for someone getting into endurance.
Fortunatly, some other people have suggested better books.
    Well, if anyone wants suggestions on some good historical romance . . .

Trish & "pretty David"
Grand Blanc, Michigan

<< >     "Endurance and Competitive Trail Riding" by Wentworth Tellington and
Linda
 > Tellington-Jones is considered a classic in the field.  It is unfortunatly
out
 > of print, last I heard, but look around, you never know . . .

 I'm lucky enough to have a first edition - it is a great book, but it also
 illustrates how far endurance riding has evolved.  The training schedule that
they
 outline is intensive & doesn't allow enough recovery days.  They recommend a
 dolomite/lite salt mixture for electrolytes- we've come to learn that there
are
 'lytes mixtures that are better formulated and better absorbed (& they are
 commercially avialable, now)!  The pictures show the horses as lean to the
point
 of having bones sticking out.  (No "groceries" for a reserve.)  You weren't a
 "real" endurance rider if the hrse had any padding.

 They mention a gate into a hold as a new concept, now the most common kind of
 hold.  (Meet the HR paramter, then begin your hold time.)  At that time in
 history, many rides started your hold time when you got to the check, and
would
 check an outgoing pulse at the out timer.  One ride that we attended wanted a
 pulse of 66 AFTER a one hour hold.  There really were some marginal horses
out
 there!

 A great book in many respects and cutting edge when I bought it.  I wouldn't
part
 with it, but I wouldn't use it on its own to guide a beginner into endurance
as it
 is ridden today.

 I believe that Amazon.com will do a search on out of print books - they may
be
 able to come across a copy.  Good luck to the Newbie in finding one!

 Linda Flemmer >>