Re: weigh stations

Debra Schlabach wrote:

>   1. I am looking at a 16' gooseneck, stock to be pulled by my '97 Chevy
> extend cab, short bed, with a larger v-8 with the vortec.

You should be fine <AS LONG AS> you have room to swing the gooseneck around
with the short bed without crushing your extended cab!  I would <seriously look
into this!!  Best friend crushed the cab of her truck in a situation like this
as she cut a turn too tight (new gooseneck driver.)

>   2.  Will there be much difference in weights with the horses as opposed
> to a fully stocked camper?

Depends on how much you bring to camp in the camper!  :-)
We figure 50 gal water X 8 lbs each = 400lbs
Weight of our 2 horses    =    1900 lbs
Camping gear     =     300 lbs
Feed and hay     =     170 lbs
Weight of people    =    375 lbs
One large dog    =    130 lbs

Total to this point 2275 lbs.  Now add in the weight of the trailer and the
truck.  Now look at your owner's manual to see what the truck is rated for.  If
it is near the max, you can pull it on an occasional basis.  Anything more than
that & you will wear out your truck long before it's time.  When we looked for
a truck, we wanted it to pull 75% of what it is rated for.

> I know the weight distribution and turning
> ratio will be better with a gooseneck, but will this be a large enough
> truck?

You didn't mention if it is a half ton, 3/4 ton, or one ton truch.  What is the
rear ends differential?  It all makes a difference!

>   Ihave 2-1200 to 1300 lb horses and a 400-500 lb Hinny.

Just out of curiousity, what type of horses do you have?  They sound HUGE!  My
16H Arab gelding only weighs 975-1000 lbs!

>   3.  Will we be able to use the same electric break controller that we use
> for the camper?

You should be able to.  You will most likely need a new connection between the
trailer & truck.  I really wish that the manufacturers of trailers would
standardize this!

> I am getting very interested and involved in the CTR's and Ohio
> Horsemans Council (we have rides scheduled all over the state every other
> week, and hubby might not get to go every time)

Can you tell me a bit more about the Ohio Horseman's Council & the rides all
over Ohio?  We live in WV, South of Pittsburgh PA and a few mile from the PA
border.  It couldn't be more than an hour to the Ohio line.....

Linda Flemmer