coggins papers

It was recently discussed at our local feed store that someone who was
riding the trailride to Houston that is a BIG ONE right before the Houston
livestock show in Feb, was finded $2000 for not having his paper on his
horse that said NEGATIVE Coggins.  Now we are all carrying our papers in
our cars.  Never used to except for the trip to the ride.  SO if you leave
your farm to ride elsewhere for whatever reason you have to have that paper
on you.  NEVER had to before and I have been in TX since 82.  Sometimes I
wonder if it isn't to make money for the vets and the labs to make up for
those of us who do a lot of our own vetting, such as the annual
immunizations.  WE even used to get rabies shots for dogs here, but not
more.  If I drive 70 miles to LA, I can get it. DOES this pass the common
sense test or the economics test?  Mary Ann, Tx