Weigh Stations & Horse Trailers

Hi Teddy.  Our family hauls horses between 10,000 and 30,000 miles a
year.  We use either a 9-horse horse van or a medium-duty diesel truck
pulling a 4 or 5-horse gooseneck with living quarters.  These latter
combinations are about 50 feet long with gross combined weights (GCW) of
up to 40,000 lbs.

When we design and build our bigger rigs,  we take into account various
federal and state regulations so we can license them as non-commercial,
motor-homes.  This exempts us from having to run over the scales in most
states.  To this end, we place signs on both sides of our rigs stating
"FOR RV USE ONLY," and just drive on by.

The exception is a PORT OF ENTRY (usually the first weigh station after
a state line). Most state regulations require ALL livestock haulers to
pull in to Ports of Entry.  In this case we try to bypass the scale
line, park-off to one side, and walk-in with our animal transport
papers.  If we cannot get off to one side, we wait our turn to run over
the scales.   As we do so, we received either a green bypass light
(which means we are free to go on) or a red light (which means "park,
and bring your papers to the office.")  There are usually public address
speakers next to the scales for the officers to speak to drivers with
additional instructions.

We have never had a problem using this approach to horse transport.

Ramey and Cynthia Peticolas-Stroud