Re: insurance suggestions

Field, Shannon wrote:

> Does anyone have some suggestions on a few good, reputable insurance
> companies that offer the colic and/or sugical/mortality coverage?  I've
> been warned by more than a few people that you can really get taken if
> you try to make a claim from some of these places.

I'm sorry to say we got the opportunity to have to make a medical,
surgical and ultimately mortality claim on one of our horses this year.
Our policy was with Agri-Risk Services 1-800-821-5558.  Their rates were
comparable, the service was very good when Puzzle got sick and they
handled the whole thing with professionalism when we decided to put
Puzzle down.  They were also very prompt about getting a check to cover
the hospitalization and surgery, which was good---I didn't realize that
even though your horse may be covered by an insurance policy, if you
appear at midnight at the equine hospital with a sick horse, the DVMs
may require you to STILL leave a very substantial deposit until the
insurance is verified.  I don't blame them, they've been burned too many
times, but just be aware of that.  I'd highly suggest carrying a copy of
the policy and the 24-hour phone number with you in your trailer in case
something happens while you're away from home territory.  Also, be very
careful of what is covered in your policy, for example, surgery and
medical are NOT the same thing, so ask LOTS of questions.  Also, be
aware that if worse came to worse and you had run out of surgery/medical
coverage, but the horse still needed additional care, which you couldn't
afford, and had the horse put down or the horse died because you
couldn't keep him in intensive care, then the carrier COULD refuse to
pay for mortality becuase in their eyes, you didn't make every effort to
save the horse.  It's a weird situation.  Puzzle was covered for $5000
in medical/surgery and his ulitmate vet bills were close to $7500---we
negotiated with the carrier to transfer $2500 from the mortality policy
to the medical coverage in an effort to save the horse.  Anyway, just be
aware that they'll try hard to help you save your horse, but won't pass
up a chance to deny the claim if they have a valid and legal reason.
But I have NO complaints about Agri-Risk.

Good luck and I hope you never have to actually use the insurance
policy.

Susan Garlinghouse