insurance suggestions

Does anyone have some suggestions on a few good, reputable insurance
companies that offer the colic and/or sugical/mortality coverage?  I've
been warned by more than a few people that you can really get taken if
you try to make a claim from some of these places.
Also, my friend Karen (owns an unstoppable Missouri Fox Trotter) and I
(Arab owner) are looking to get started slowly in endurance and
competitive trail riding.  We both live in Tucson, Arizona and are
looking for some small races in the area to start with.  Probably won't
be many in the next couple of months because of the extreme heat, but I
thought maybe in the fall.  Any information out there on rides in my
area?  Thanks.

Shannon