Re: shoe information

FranJurga wrote:

> I wonder if you know about or have tried the LUWEX pads in Germany? They have
> just been introduced here, and seem like a good product. I wonder how they
> would be for endurance horses?
> Also, have you seen the Softlie shoe from Sweden?

Hello Fran,

sorry, but I never heard about these two products.

> Do you think the Mustad Nailshu is a good shoe for horses doing endurance
> training on softer ground?

The Nail-Shu is a very good product for most horses. You can get it in the same
sizes as the normal iron-shoes (i.e. Werkman). It is lighter than Werkman, but
it is a bit thicker (17 mm Nail-Shu to 10 mm Werkman). I don't know about the
effect which the less weight is giving to the horses gait. I know that riders of
Iceland-Horses are using different types of shoes in training and competition to
give their horses more action/movement in the front legs. I am not sure if this
also effects on endurance horses as well as I am not sure if the weight
difference is big enough to get any effect. The Nail-Shu has an excellent shock
adsorbtion on hard ground but I think you can ignore the effect on softer
ground. One point to discuss is the "flexibility" of the Nail-Shu. It is
definetly not as rigid as an iron shoe. This could have effects on the
hoof-mechanism.
If you do have a "normal" gaited horse, the Nail-Shu could be a shoe to think
about for your horse. I well remember Cathy Brown with her arab stallion "King
Minos" - both are well known here in Europe. She uses the Nail-Shu and told me
that sometimes they can use one set for 2 or 3 periods! The Nail-Shu did not
wear out because of King Minos' gait. But in 1994 at the WEG she had been pulled
and she said that maybe it is because of the Nail-Shu. The trotting in the VC
had been on asphalt. The Nail-Shu is not slipping so the hoof is stopping
immediately. Most of the other horses are using iron shoes and they had been
sliding a bit. Maybe the vet interpreted the stopping as a kind of lameness!?!

> What is the material you use in your nails with the Werkman shoes? Do you use
> these shoes without pads? How long does a set of shoes last? Werkman shoes are
> widely available in the USA.

The nails we are using are normal Mustad ones. We add four pins of Widia to each
shoe. Maybe Widia is know under another name in the USA. Here in Germany it is a
kind of abbreviation for "Wie Diamant" -> translated it meens "liked Diamonds" -
says everything about the material! I do not use any pads, but I have to say
that the soles of my horse's hooves are very good. Other horses need pads when
riding in our area. One set of Werkman is lasting for about 3-400 km, sometimes
it can be used twice.

> All the best to you, and if I can be of any further assistance. Let me know. I
> can connect you with a USA retailer who can ship these shoes or pads overseas
> to you if you think they are not available in Germany.

Maybe you can try to find some prospects/broschures of the Sneaker and the Shock
Tamer and fax them to me. My fax number is: +49.2932.27755.

BTW, what is a St. Croix Eventer?

Thanks for your help, hope to give you all the information you need.

Happy trails

Wolfgang + NINJA 11