Corns on front feet

From: Gail Fiebelman
Email: pzeck@worldnet.att.net

Would like some information regarding  corns on the feet.  We have a horse that has developed a corn on both front feet probably, according to our vet, from pads.  He did fine at the first ride, then 2 weeks later on the second ride, he had an intermittent lameness and we pulled him.  The corns are located back by the heels exactly where the rivets were used to hold the pads on the shoes. The vet had us soak in Epsom Salt and then put an ointment on the bottom of the feet and wrap them every day.  The ointment is called icthamol (sp.)-smells like pine tar.  He said the horse should be sound in 3-4 days.  Tried a ride this weekend and after an hour he went off again.  We had the honeycomb pads on him hoping that would help but again he had problems.   All of this is over a 6 week period.  We have been told by some that he will need  anywhere from 3-6 months off.   Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for us?  Do we leave the pads on?  Do we soak feet?  Any ideas on how long it will be to heal?  We would appreciate any advice.  Please email us privately.  Thank you.