Bloodlines

Thank you for the replies about arab bloodlines.

Those of you who have read up about Skowronek the Arab stallion which belonged to Lady Wentworth . Is the breeding or pedigree of this horse a controversial subject in the States ?

A South African breeder of  Arabians which I am very sorry to never have met is the late Ian Thompson (Charmante Arabians) Ian as far as I know was a purist of the highest degree and also a perfectionist, you only had to look at the extended pedigrees which he compiled (Going right back to the D.B Desert bred horses)
Ian had a Stallion GORDONVILLE ZIYADAN (this stallion was the last surviving "straight " Egyptian Arabian of the Kehelian Mimreh strain in the world. In fact, only two "Asil" Arabians of this strain exist-his half sister SAHIBI BINT BARAKA and her filly by AHIR (Ahir was imported by Dr Valerie Noli Marais from the States)

Ian wrote many articles and was often at loggerheads with the late Betty Arnold of the OLFORD stud which was the oldest stud in South Africa .
The Olford stud bred pure crabbets and Betties horses did exceptionally well in the riding classes. She imported her horses and also was a personal friend of Lady Wentworth .
There still is today talk about the authenticity of some of the pedigrees drawn up by Lady Wentworth . If any of you have read the "Swift Runner" by Lady Wentworth you will notice that Skowronek  looks different in different photo`s . Many people said that Lady Wentworth  used to DOCTOR her photo`s. I have got an original certificate ( Drawn up by Lady Wentworth with her wax seal on it) belonging to a Crabbet Stallion Cream Of Gold .

I visited a stud in Cape Town who bought the archives of the late Ian Tompson and read numerous articles about Skowronek . A lady I met from the States said that the Skowronek line was sought after for endurance then again many breeders in South Africa stay completely away from Skowronek because they believe he was impure.(speaking under correction Skowronek`s sire was from Poland or Russia )
When I get hold of these articles I will put them on the net.

Also talking about park horses doing well I found an article in one of the arab magazines dating back to 1977.
Because of the fact that way back in 1951 the Arabians had to compete against all breeds at shows Mr.. P.J.van der Merwe started concentrating on riding ability.
It was decided to look for five gaited Arabians in America which could compete in the South African shows.
After searching for Arabs with good movement and riding ability this South African stud (Vlinkfontein) made history in Jan 1954 by being the first stud that imported 6 Arabians (2 stallions and 4 mares) The Stallion was the 17 yr. old RABIYAS which was for many years the chief sire of the Kellog stud. RABIYAS was one of the best Arabs to do five gaits and was known to be excellent at this.
It is interesting to know that Rabiyas`s predecessor , RODAN the stallion won endurance rides in Vermont , and Damascus Rabiyas`s son also won endurance rides.
Rabiyas`s mother Rabiyat was better known as one of best 3 gaited Arabmares of all times.

Someone replied to me that she does not know how park horses do well in endurance, with their high action.  I have noticed that parkhorses have a good moving hock action rather than dragging their back legs. Remember a horse is taught to lift up his legs when he is showing and will not just do so.
I have got a part arab with lovely hock action and I KNOW he will be able to do the 5 gaits , he is doing well in endurance .(you will find a picture of him, and in this picture his hooves are short and he has never done five gaits)
I will look for some pics of Rabiyas and Rabiyat , I am also building up a library of pictures of the old legendary horses people have only heard of and not seen.

Anyone interested in endurance lines or Skowronek please email me.

Cheers
Greg Miles
El Barec Arabians
South Africa.

On the lighter side of life

If there are two flies on a horses arse which one is the BOXER ?
 The one in the ring. !!!!!!

I have just found a long article written by Ian Thompson to the editor of the SARAB magazine 1977 regarding Skowronek including pic`s , the article is quite long anyone interested email me.