Washoe 100--long

Well, since Nick is moving this week, I'd better write something about
the 100. Karen, I'll try to give it justice!! :-)  The 5 am start
brought cool but clear conditions as we started down the trail. Nick
Warhol and I were planning to ride together as we had at 20 Mule Team
100. As we left camp, Dennis Souza and Karen Chaton caught up to us and
the 4 of us rode and talked. Up and over the mountain into Carson City,
across the highway and back into the mountains. We crossed water a time
or two :-), then came across Pat Fredrickson. She joined our little
group, and into the vet check in Dayton (32 miles).
We came into the check, all of us were fine, and waited out our 45
minute hold. We were just about the only ones in the check, almost
everyone else was already thru, and we had averaged just a bit over 7
mph!!! Leaving Dayton, we crossed over the highway and into the
industrial part of town.Karen, remember that driveway that Nick slipped
on? That was where Shirley and company fell. Started back into the
hills, where Karen did'nt get us lost, we were just directionally
challenged! Back on trail, up and over the mountain, riding thru a rock
or two, and back to camp for our hour hold at 50 miles. It was at this
point that our group split up. Nick and I left camp about 14 minutes
behind the other 3 ( my fault, I did'nt give enough electrolytes, should
have been twice what I used). Went out on the second loop and climbed
and climbed some more. Saw a herd of wild horses just past the
reservoir, then hit the SOB's. They are!! Back into camp at 76 miles and
a 40 minute hold. Because of the added electrolytes I used, recoveries
were good. ( The vets did a CRI at every check) Back out just as it was
getting dark for the third loop of 20 miles. By this time Karen had
turned on the afterburners, and we passed her as we were going up and
she was coming down the mountain. Dennis had been pulled, his horse came
up short in the rear. Pat was somewhere ahead of us. Caught up to her,
and the 3 of us continued the loop. Came into camp at 96 miles at about
1:45 am or so, vetted thru fine, and finished our 15 minute hold. We
left camp with 4 miles to go around the lake, and were getting pumped up
about finishing. Did the last loop in 35 minutes and crossed the finish
line. Vetted thru and all of us completed. There were 3 others left out
on the trail when we finished, and all of them completed, the last
finishing with just a couple of minutes to spare. Overall, 23 out of 31
finished the 100. Nick and I could'nt have done all this without our
fantastic crew. Val and Judy, you two were great!!!
Many, many thanks to Connie and all of her helpers and to Nancy and all
of the other vets that put on a great ride!!
Brian Reeves
R. B. Royal Brand aka "Goofy"
West Region