Re: electrolyte supplementation

>Maybe I have this all screwed up but I thought adding water thru
>sponging when
>the humidity was high didn't do much good.  Unless the sweat/water was
>evaporating it's not effective.

>Melanie in AZ (where water is precious)

Melanie,
I can understand your thinking, seeing where you're coming from, but
things are different here.  Water we have...the Tennessee River is HUGE!
I often wanted to point it out to middle eastern exchange students at our
college who were obviously conserving bathwater.  We've got it, by all
means USE IT!

If water did no good, we wouldn't bother going swimming.  If the air is
80 degrees, the horse is 101 degrees and the water is 60 degrees, it
helps.  Putting water on constantly helps more.  Every time my sponge
swipes my horse, it takes away the warm water and replaces it with cool.
I know it feels cool, because I manage to sit on the sponge every so
often, just to make sure!  :-)

At Million Pines, there was only one mudhole that I considered too warm
to sponge from, and that's the one where my partner's horse tanked up.

In several places the water seemed to be spring water...very cold.  Those
are the places where I stayed for a little while.

So long as the water isn't heated...and that may be another difference
here because remember we've got LOTS of shade, I'll put it on every
chance I get, and there'll be plenty left for everyone else...Really!
:-)

Angie

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]