Re: Legs swelling

A dressage judge told me you can have wind puffs on top of windpuffs.  Judy
-----Original Message-----
From: Flemmer, Linda <flemmerl@rcbhsc.wvu.edu>
To: Rayna5 <Rayna5@aol.com>; ridecamp@endurance.net <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Date: Tuesday, April 28, 1998 5:33 AM
Subject: Re: Legs swelling

>Rayna5 wrote:
>
>> Hello Ridecampers
>>
>> I have a question.  After the last several rides (training) I have done,
>> have noticed some minor swelling in the ankles of my horse, right where
all
>> the ligaments attach. Its on both sides of all four legs.
>
>Your horse sounds like it has developed "windpuffs" - a filling of the
tendon
>sheath.  It is not an unsoundness.  In my experience, it tends to occur in
a horse
>who is asked to work harder than he has in the past, or if there is a large
amount
>of concussion present in the work out.  The change in shoes may have
stressed his
>tendons a bit, too.
>
>You can mask the puffs with braces/linaments, tight wraps, or even
massaging the
>edema upwards (to look marvwlous before judging at a CTR).  The problem
is - they
><will> come back.  The tendon sheath will continue to fill from here on
out.

>Again, I've been told it isn't an unsoundness and our horses have not shown
any
>lameness because of it.  I've seen these in a large number of older
campaigners.

>Linda Flemmer

BEGIN:VCARD
N:PLACE;AUSSIE
FN:AUSSIE PLACE
ORG:SHILOH Australian Saddles
TITLE:owner
TEL;WORK;VOICE:425-788-4880
TEL;WORK;FAX:425-788-7361
ADR;WORK:;;14128 292nd Ave. NE;Duvall;WA;98019
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:14128 292nd Ave. NE=0D=0ADuvall, WA 98019
URL:http://www.aa.net/AUSSIEPLACE/
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:aussie@aa.net
END:VCARD