Re: Camping/Lightening

Christy,
   That roller came through Wash. at 4 am, and my 100# sheperd tried to
crawl in bed with us!.    We've camped in the Cascades, you want to be in
trees, that are a little lower than the rest, that don't act as lightening
rods, and tie short and stout.
    A few years ago on the John Wayne Ride across Wash. state, we were
camped at Rosalia.  At that time, they had us next to the railroad tracks,
and if that wasn't bad enough a storm came through that night.
People covered their horses  well with waterproof blankets, or used plastic
tarps, clipped with 4 big heavy heavy spring clips onto the regular blanket.
We tie on the sheltered side of the trailer using the
 4 x 4  rule, which is 4' high, 4' short (or shorter) You know, if it's 5'
high, 5' short, etc.. The halter throatlatch is not  loose, but fits.  Some
tugged a little, but they couldn't move the truck!  Those inside the
stocktrailer were in trouble.  They crashed around a lot.  One time earlier,
I found out that my mare can open the bolt snaps, so I use a bullsnap.
Also, bolt snaps break easier.   We now have better facillities, as we camp
at a beautiful ranch next to the river, and the rodeo grounds, and the rodeo
is in town, too.  (See description of ride in Trails)
    I've also been in the highcountry at a trailhead, where a chopper is
coming into the horsetrailer parking lot where we were(because they like all
that room)  They made a dozen trips that day, bringing people 6 at a time
for a Memorial service, and then taking them up to Cady Ridge for the ashes
to be scattered.    I figured by the end of the day, she'd be used to helios
landing 100' away.  Tied just a little longer than 4 x 4, she whipped back
and forth a little, but couldn't get hung up on anything, or get her leg
over, or rear over.  After a few trips, she just crouched when the "big bee"
took off over the trailer.  I  don't know where I could have moved to, and
have always felt our hosres should get used to what we ask of them.
     In our John Wayne camps, we always have a few night wanderers who go
visiting, until their owners figure out what keeps them home. They'll be OK.
Just use common sense.    Judy, Wa.