Farries, Hoof Packing, etc.

Hi Cheryl:

The folks at Easycare just came out with a new hoofpacking.  I showed a
sample of it to my farrier, and he really liked it.  He wants me to order a
bucket of it and when I let my horses out to graze (they have a back lawn
all to themselves), I'm to pack their feet in the stuff and leg them sand
in the mushy wet grass.  They do that anyway, and maybe this will keep
their feet from drying out.  Anyway, the stuff is called NaturePac Hoof
Packing.

I'll let you know how the stuff does.  Last time the horses feet were too
soft (too much mud this year!), and now they are already dried out
again!!!!  It's either one extreme or the other.  I'm sure this happens to
a lot of horses out there?

About farriers.  If you get a good one, don't ever let them go!!!  They ARE
very hard to come by, especially the ones that understand our special needs
(i.e., keeping a horse sound!) <g>  Mine has me on a regular 6 week
schedule, but it is allowed to vary, and often does.  There is no way I
could have them on a set schedule.  This time one of my horses didn't even
go 5 weeks because he has a ride next week and I like him shod 7-10 days
prior to a ride.  I have had him done within a day or two with no problems,
however I do feel that after the first week or two is when he moves the best.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
West Region