Shoeing

Okay, another newbie question.  Keep in mind that I live in an area where
not a lot of people have experience with endurance riding.

After I bought my gelding in October 1996, we started having problems with
his feet.  Trouble holding shoes, small chunks breaking off the sides of
the rear (unshod) hooves, very dry looking.  No thrush or white-line, though.

We've done several things.  He's now hot-shod using St. Croix Eventers with
side clips, he's been on biotin for about ten months, and he's on pasture
all the time (was kept basically stall-bound by the previous owner).  And
his feet are MUCH better.  The undersides look like ivory!!

I've been reading about the four-point trim, and I asked my farrier about
using that method for Jack.  She does sort of a modified four-point anyway
(definitely not long in the toe), and because his feet look so good now,
she's reluctant to use the more severe version.  She does use it as a
corrective measure when needed (especially if a horse tends to trip), but
she doesn't think Jack needs it.

Is there something about the four-point trim that necessary makes it better
for  distance riding?

Cindy Eyler & Jack
Baltimore MD