Re: sport saddle pad

>Has anyone successful completed 100's and multiday rides with a sport saddle?

Kathy,
I have successfully completed 5 one day 100's (including Old Dominion) and two
multi-day rides in a Sports Saddle.......top tenned 4 of them and won two.
At the Florida Endurance Classic, both 1st and 2nd Place horses were in Sports
Saddles.  Many Florida riders use them, so they must not be too bad in the
heat!!!!!

>If so what kind of pad did you use?

I use a Cloud Nine with a wool Navajo blanket under it and the wool cover for
the Cloud.  I did cut out a place in the Cloud for the withers......it seemed
to draw rather tight across the withers before I did this.

 I have a skito pad but got some loin
>rubbing with it this winter.

Could have been from the winter hair.  Seems there were some posts last winter
regarding this problem.

.  I have a cloud nine saddle pad but am afraid it would be too hot
>for summer rides.

Must admit.......the first one day 100 I did, my horse seemed a little sore in
the back.......not deep muscle sore, just "skin sore".......He scurfed badly
about 3 days after the ride.....so obviously I DID get some pretty severe heat
buildup.   Since I added the wool navajo and the wool cover for the Cloud,  I
have not had a problem.  I rarely untack at the holds.......my horse recovers
well so I don't need to strip him to get his pulse to drop.   I do change
navajos at the 50 (where the hold is usually an hour so there is more time to
untack and tack back up).
He's had "A" backs ever since I started using the Sports Saddle 3 years
ago.... always had back problems prior to that.
Good thing......I'm so spoiled, I don't think I could ever go back to riding
in a saddle with a tree again  :-)

Cindy Bell
Southeast Region
Wameco......(hates the SS, 'cause he can't unseat me and run off anymore!!)