Heat Training

My friend and I are thinking of going and doing the Tevis in 1999 , Both of
our horses are experienced endurance horses . Hallie with over a 1000 miles
and Bo with over 750 so far . Both of these horses have done 5 day
multi-day rides , 50's,75's,and 100's . They also live at high altitude's
, 6500 feet and train at up to 10,000 feet .The question for you that have
done the tevis before and live a long way from the ride [ 2 days trailering
] is my friend and I disagree on how to go about getting ready for the ride
.I want to go down at least a week early and preride parts of the trail ,
she wants to go there the day before and just do it . Can a horse be
acclimated to heat or not , and how long would that take  ? These horses
ride together stride for stride so we really don't want to go seperately
and thought that we would find out what you guys thought and why .Thanks
for your time.
                               Drin & Bo
                               S W Mt.