Re: Pregnant mares

In a message dated 98-04-19 22:35:46 EDT, truman.prevatt@netsrq.com writes:

<< One other vet, who also rode a mare in endurance, stated to just listen to
 your horse - she will tell you when she is uncomfortable and it is time to
 back off.  The mare did tell me.

 I did my last ride with Misty when she was 7 months along.  >>

Very true, Truman.  When I campaigned Sansih to 8 months, her last rides were
back-to-back 50's on Thanksgiving weekend.  She was a bit fussy going
downhill, and took her time--baby getting heavy enough to push her abdominal
contents uncomfortably toward her diaphragm, I imagine.  She was still her
normal self on the flat and going uphill.  Time to quit doing 50's at that
point.  Up 'til then, there was absolutely no difference in how she went,
recovery rates, or anything else.  She was not about to be pushed into
anything that was beyond her!

Heidi