Re: poison ivey,oak and sumac

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Weetreefan wrote:

> If the leaves ooze a black sap when crushed you are dealing with oak.  My son
Just thinking about this makes me itch.  Who in their right mind would go
about crushing poison oak/ivy to find out which it is.

I just stay as far away from that stuff as I possibly can....and I don't
cut it back, not even fully clothed from head to foot.  Anybody who
does....to quote my brother, "Just doesn't have enough respect for it."

BTW:  If you happen to be one of those people who "has no reaction to
poison oak/ivy" well....just you wait.  It is a developed allergy so the
more you get into it, the worse it gets when you do get into it.

I have found that the safest way to get rid of this stuff is with some
kind of weed killer, like Roundup.  And this is just the time of year it
is most effective.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s.  Be very careful with the cuttings if you are the type to burn
them...since breathing the smoke from burning poison oak/ivy can be
serious!!