electrolyte supplementation

From: Mike Lindinger
Email: mlinding@uoguelph.ca

I would like to pass comment on the following comment that appeared a
short time ago. I am an animal physiologist that has researched fluid and
 electrolyte balance in horses and humans for over 10 years.

>In my experience, using electrolytes at home prevents the horse from becoming
>efficient in conserving them.  I would only use electrolytes after a SEVERE
>training ride in hot or humid weather.
>

>At a distance riding clinic given in hot, humid FL Jeannie Waldron
>responded something like this.  Routine use of electrolytes - particularly
>the Ca++ will prevent the horse from developing the adaptation to draw on
>his reserves.  Her suggestion was to give the horse free choice loose salt
>with maybe lite salt mixed but not electrolytes.  Save the electrolytes for
>the ride.

There is absolutely no evidence to support the notion that
withholding electrolytes increases the ability of the body to
'conserve' electrolytes.  What is true, however, is that exercise  training and
heat acclimation in humans, and possibly horses (but this is not yet
definte according to our research and that of others) results in the
production of a more dilute sweat. But since more sweat is produced
it is not likely that 'conservation' of electrolytes is increased.

The secretion of water and electrolytes by sweat glands in both
humans and horses (these two species have very different types of
sweat glands) is tightly coupled by a number of complex mechanisms.
To me it is inconceivable how withholding electrolytes 'at home' can
increase 'electrolyte' conservation.

The great majority of equine food stuffs contain more than adequate
amounts of electrolytes and minerals to replace that lost by 1 hour
of daily exercise - as such providing electrolyte supplements gives
no real benefit - the excess is excreted in the urine. this is well
established in all domesticated mammals.

If, however, exercise 'at home' is sufficiently long in duration and
of moderate to high intensity to result in dehydration, water and electrolyte
supplementation should be considered.  Electrolytes, when given with
water, help to retain water in the various fluid compartments and
prevent dehydration. Such horses have improved cardiovascular
function, improved ability to thermoregulate and perform better. For
these reasons we also recommend that horses pre-load with 1 to 1.5
gallons of water with electrolyte supplement 1 to 2 hours  before long training
rides and before endurance competitions. This provides a reservoir of
fluid and electrolytes in the gut that will be used during the first
part of the ride when the horses are not likely to drink. Horses
treated in this way become much less dehydrated than horses not using
this treatment. This is based on extensive field research over 6
years.

I hope that some will find this information useful, and also hope
that it will dispel some myths about the physiology of the horse.

I wish you all well on the trails.

Michael I. Lindinger, Ph.D.
President,
Equine Performance Group, Inc.
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
co-developer of Perform'N Win, equine electrolyte supplement
Michael I. Lindinger
Dept. of Human Biology & Nutritional Sciences
University of Guelph, Guelph, ON  Canada  N1G 2W1

Phone: 1 519 824 4120 ext. 3752
FAX:   1 519 763 5902
email: mlindinger.ns@aps.uoguelph.ca
University home page: http://www.uoguelph.ca/