Re: prompting

The comments from Merryben   are right on target..

does anyone really believe that the world class horse and riders need
the 'stuff'
they can kick most buts on 3 legs..

sure my home team-- Kanavy   does use hrm to train.. and they ride in
competiton with them-- just like Steve - Shirley and many others
and then many great riders dont..
they win too..

no one NEEDS the extra equipment.. it is nice to have..and in the case
of the HRM it does help you to focus --on the horses effort.. to
re-enforce what your horsemanship tells you. It is NOT a distraction the
units helps me to read my horse better.

I can do a ride with out it but I CHOOSE not to.. can I beat Cash-- only
in my dreams
WHY??  he is a better horse AND is properly conditioned- trained and
ridden..

does the crew size mean anything  --nope-- case in point..
ROC 97 in the Utah mtns.. Team K had 4 yes four crew persons
Larry and a friend from Bazil took the lower vc postions and Tracy
Ingram and I along with Virigina  -who helped the riders.. we took the
high vc..
about the same number of crew members Shilrey and Dusty had..
the riders had to help with the tasks.. we were efficient -had to be..
and of course they did quite well .. great horses- properly conditioned
and properly ridden..
now at WEG   we had a great crew  over loaded one could say.. same
results

and at ROC this year   a good crew  not as large but road coverage and
vc crews..and there was a flameout.. things go wrong..

Its still the horse and rider. not the money the rider has or the
equipment they use.. yet 'stuff' like well made and balanced saddles and
special shoes' sneakers' and hrms do help -- you put as many bucks into
the toys --but you still have to train-condition -feed and rider better
then all the rest to win consistantly.

Sure it would be nice to have communiation with the rider.. dont see how
this falls into the hi-tech medical treatment equipment and dont see
where that give an unfair advantage..
the sport is a race -like nascar-- and they DO have MANY rules about
equipment..
If the equipment is for the care of the horse and rider.. I dont see a
problem.

To make a point about why I use the HRM.. I was doing quite well at a 50
miler 2 weeks ago.. left last vc in about 11th or so.. thought just
maybe.. picked up the pace.. was on the carbo rat and she felt good..
caught up with the 10th place and the race was on..
about 9 miles to .. i thought Fame was working to hard.. but willing to
go on and keep up the pace.. a quick check of the hr proved me correct
175  to high .. we backed off and let them go on.. IF I did not had a
physical device to re-enforce my 'feeling'   would I or other riders be
inclined to back off   before the horse quit or crashed..
Many or most will..
however this horse is type A and so is the rider  a bad combination..
SO we gave it  up and just cruised in in good shape for 14th. I watched
her Hr and recoveries all the way in to see if she was 'over-done'.
After 10 years of using this device I do rely on  it  but I could still
ride without it.

and yes Bob I still have  a great time and get a rush at the start and
finish of every ride

roger r