Tying Up (was 're:Banamine')

Angie McGhee wrote:

As long as we're on the subject.  Last week, we were about 5-7 miles into
a race, going up a big mountain, when we met a rider coming back down
leading her horse which she said was trying to tie up.  It wasn't
resisting movement, and didn't look all sweaty/lathered.  The pack was
going very slow due to extreme rocky conditions.  There was no way for
the horse to get back to camp but to walk out...or for vets to walk in.
A rider in our group gave her a tube of banamine paste.  I know it's best
to wait for a vet before giving any medications in some situations, like
on into the ride when things could be all out of balance...but what's
your advice in a situation like this?

Angie and Kaboot (Is she going the wrong way?)

There is an interesting article in the April 'Endurance News'  by Jeannie
Waldron about tying up with horses at some major big rides - ROC, Old
Dominion, NAC, Pan-American...

One point was that there is some evidence that some horses seem to have
'little tie-ups' - or maybe not so little - just from being confined in
the trailer and hauled to a ride.  Also, if a horse is trying to tie-up
it is a very bad idea to put him in a trailer and haul him prior to
treating him.

Some horses, whose pre-ride bloodwork indicated fairly high CPK levels,
still started and completed long rides.  I am sure that their riders
would not have started had they known the horse was in or near metabolic
trouble.  This reminds me of some horses that I've seen pee very dark at
the end of every ride and yet they consistently complete the rides.  The
cumulative effects of this can't be for the longterm good of the
horse....

It seems that an important thing is to learn what one can do to avoid a
tie-up.   Not feeding a meal less than 4 hours prior to hauling or riding
was one suggestion.  If a person had a horse that tied-up previously it
would probably be a good idea to stick to this religiously.   Another is
to avoid skimping on hay and feeding grain heavily...

One suggestion at the end of the article was that blood work be done
prior to ride start.  Then, those with a horse with high CPK levels might
choose not to start the ride.

What about this idea?  At championship or otherwise "big rides"?  How
much would this add in cost, time,
or additional vets required?

Dave Bennett
Chickamauga, Georgia
email:   benamil@juno.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]