Saddles--for Beverly

>Hi Beverly,
>
>I have been riding a Bob Marshall version of the Sport Saddle marketed by
Circle Y.  It is suede and a lot more secure than the standard SS.  The
western tack catalog by Stateline Tack shows pictures and I got the Barrel
version in order to have a horn for security as I ride with cowboys in some
of the most rugged country in the West--the mountains of southeastern Utah.
After only a few months I knew I'd made a mistake on the suede!  I now have
a full sheepskin cover if I ride it at all.  Long rides on suede in the
summer will take off all the skin, even if you are wearing nylon lycra!  I
do like the saddle.  It is very secure and deep. Even my dressage coach
approves of the stirrup placement (set back for endurance).  I did have the
horn removed--it hit me in the chest everytime we powered up a hill.  I have
come home with a black and blue tummy on many occasions.

>Now that I've told you of my SS, I should also tell you that I've replaced
it.  My new Anglo/Arab is very high withered and the SS rubs her withers.  I
bought the new (and rather expensive) Italian Prestige saddle--western
McClellan version.  It is very soft and comfortable but I'm still working
out the kinks--like the stirrups which caused a premature end to my last
ride!  Beverly Gray's Arabian Saddle Company products are very good but are
english in design which may make you a bit insecure for a while but she can
certainly fit your horse which is the most important thing.  I like my
austrialian saddle also but it is a little heavy for endurance.  When I ride
"Thumper the 1/4 horse with an attitude" in LD, I use it and we become
instant heavyweights!

>I rode the Big Horn in Canada and liked it but you are right about it not
being very deep.  The Bob Marshall version of SS is much deeper than the Big
Horn or the regular SS. The SR Saddle made by Steve Gonzales has a western
version and is advertised in Endurance News and TrailBlazer Mags. Marilyn
Horstmeyer's custom saddle is very deep and her clientel in the southeast
really like them. Also archives will tell you all about the different
saddles and the debates we've had.  Good luck but really rethink with suede
or horns!