Partial Body Clipping

Many times, depending on weather/time of year/coat length etc., I only do a
partial clip.

This allows cooling of critical cooling areas but doesn't compromise the
'summer coat' or leave them to cool in cooler times of the year.  (More like
using a vest).

I shave the juglar groove/under side of the neck and a belly shave.  A belly
shave doesn't show on the summer coat to any degree so can be done any time of
year for a little extra cooling.  Sometimes I leave the girth area if a horse
tends to be more sensitive but otherwise I pick a spot on the lower half of
the flank/rib cage and do a line to the girth line.   If it's not going to
turn cold or I'm blanketing I'll also do a line in from the stifle groove to
the back of the upper gaskin and shave the hip line into the flank area.  By
leaving the back and hips you minimize chilling in breezy areas but allow
quite a bit of evaporative cooling while working.  Horses also dry faster if
hosed and blanketed to dry.  (I use cotton cooler under light blanket that
breathes).

Being in San Diego we get away with a little more clipping than some areas
can.  If you still have cold/rainy/snowy weather potential-a belly shave
doesn't insulate from the ground so would take that into consideration.  The
partial shave is used quite abit here as even a summer coat holds quite abit
of heat with our long riding season.

Cindy