Re: Night Riding

It also keeps your eyes from adjusting to the ambient conditions.  Given
about 15 minutes at night you would be amazed how well you can see.

On rides I put a head light on my helmet but only use it when I have to -
like checking markings or the map or leading my horse down very steep
hills.

>One alternative is to mount a kool light (also known as a glow stick) on
>the breast collar strap that runs between your horse's front legs.  This
>part of the horse tends to move about the least and, along with the
>non-point light source, is less likely to promote vertigo.  An added
>benfit to a low mount is that a showdow will be cast on the far side of
>rocks in front of you making them easier to identify from saddle height.

The only time I ever got sick riding at night is when I did this. After
about 30 minutes I took the glow sticks off and put them in my pack. The
vet at the 91 mile check thought she was going to have to treat me.  She
said I looked green when I came in.

If you are worried about people seeing you there is a good option.  The
small flashing lights that bicycle riders wear can be attached to the top
of your helmet.  It won't bother you or the horse but will be seen. They
don't require lights of hit them and they can be seen for a long way off.

Truman

Truman Prevatt
Mystic "The Horse form Hell" Storm
Little Stormy - "She wasn't with us long - but boy will we miss her"
The Rockman, a.k.a Misty Jr.
Jordy, a.k.a. Bridger - Finaly getting his shot

Sarasota, FL