Re: Radios, et.al. and similarities

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 13:09:23 -0400, flemmerl@rcbhsc.wvu.edu (Flemmer,
Linda) wrote:

>K S Swigart wrote:

>> It is interesting to me your assumption that these methodologies were made
>> illegal because they allowed for "high tech" unfair competition.  It was
>> my understanding that they were ruled illegal because (for the most part)
>> these technologies are "pain killers" that could easily mask the true
>> physical condition of the horse,

>This was my understanding of the spirit of the rule as well.  How effective
>some of these modalities are may be hotly debated, but if they are <at all>
>effective, they could be detrimental TO THE HORSE'S WELL-BEING!

This is my take on it too.  Any means, technological or not, that
masks pain symptoms from the vets is dangerous to the horse.

If the AERC Board was concerned about keeping the sport "pure" and
natural, and not allowing high-tech devices to be used during
competition, heart monitors would have been banned long ago.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net