Re: Training rides

Lynette Helgeson wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Sorry but I have another question. What is a training ride and how
> do you go about setting one up.

Don't go getting too formal on us, now!!!  If you ride with the idea of
training the horse (mentally, physically, or otherwise) - it is a training
ride.  If you prefer to do it on a solitary basis, that's fine; or, you can
participate with a group of friends.  Some clubs or rides will put on a
"training ride" where they may provide food & drinks and show different trails
to the new folks.

One club I belonged to in VA offered an 18-26 mile training ride weekly in
different locations followed by a tailgate party.  We had a blast!  Since it
was an official club function that was covered under the insurance policy, we
had access to sites that would not have ordinarily allowed individual,
uninsured riders (like military reserves, private land).

If you & your friends get together to ride & train, it's a training ride in my
book.  Thank goodness this sport isn't like showing with trainers, show barns,
etc. & organized to death!

Linda Flemmer