Re: cell phones in packs

> > I don't mean this pointed towards anyone in particular. BUT, we all know
> > people who will ride past someone without stopping anyway.
>
> I, for one, do not know anybody who will ride past someone without
> stopping, assuming that they were in obvious distress.  I have never seen
> any endurance rider ride past anybody who was even off their horse without
> at least asking, "Are you okay?"  (most of the time, this person has just
> gotten off to make some kind of adjustment....or to pee).
Hi Kat...at a ride a couple of years ago, I was at the finish line of the
50, waiting on the winners to come in.  We knew about who was coming due
to the radio contact we had with the other vet check.  We heard running,
saw two riders in the woods.  Then, one rider came out, hell bent for
leather.  This rider crossed the finish line, pulled up and said that the
other rider had taken a spill. The winning rider thought the other rider
was up, but wasn't sure.  We went looking for the other rider--a gentleman
that is a tad bit older than me:-) and found him wandering a bit dazed. he
was ok, but was confused about where the finish line was.  This is a ride
that he had done before, it was a trail that was a 25 mile loop with the
second 25 repeated, he had crossed the finish line once already that day,
and it was plainly marked with arrows.  He was just addled and totally
missed the signs.

Did this rider show compassion in the heat of the finish?  NO!  In my
opinion the rider did not.  Most people would have stopped and inquired if
he were ok, then waited on him to remount and they would have come in
together.

I am not saying that all riders will pass an injured rider on trail. I
have been off walking before for various reasons. MOST of the time, as I
am passed, they will ask if all is well. I have had people, seasoned
riders, pass me without even so much as a nod of the head though.  It does
happen.

People will race for points, for a T-shirt, for whatever at the expense of
the horse.  It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they would race at the
expense of a rider too......
Most people, in all walks of life mean well and are great people. BUT,
there are some cads everywhere.  I appoligise for being negative, but it
is out there.

samm
SE region