Re: cell phones in packs

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Samm C Bartee wrote:

> So...If you have the cell phone sealed and something happens to ANOTHER
> rider, and you don't want to be disqualified, are you then going to
> 1.  Give up your place to help a rider/horse
> 2.  Ride past because you don't want to be DQ'd?
>
> I don't mean this pointed towards anyone in particular. BUT, we all know
> people who will ride past someone without stopping anyway.

I, for one, do not know anybody who will ride past someone without
stopping, assuming that they were in obvious distress.  I have never seen
any endurance rider ride past anybody who was even off their horse without
at least asking, "Are you okay?"  (most of the time, this person has just
gotten off to make some kind of adjustment....or to pee).

I don't believe that there really are any of the "people who will ride
past without stopping."  BTTW: this does NOT count people who ride past/on
when the person who is obviously in distress is also just as obviously
being helped by someone else.  To stop in such a situation is just to make
matters worse (e.g. If you ever stop to "help" at a traffic accident, the
first thing the cops do when they get there--after they ask if you are a
witness--is to tell all the "helpers" to leave).

Maybe I live in some dream land where all people are well meaning and
helpful...but I have yet to be disappointed.

Am I the only one who doesn't know anybody who would ride past somebody in
trouble without stopping?

kat
Orange County, Calif.