Mental Attitude

Hi all,

Thanks for the words of encouragement re my mare's attitude. I must
admit it does make sense when I sit down and think about it. My gelding
that I rode last year was an absolute fireball and almost uncontrollable
- too competitive!! As a result it was a fight to try and keep him at a
speed equal to his youth and fitness - and as a result we ended up with
tendon problems. I must admit it is easier with Shaliekah to go
slower<g> .I will start concentrating on the hills now and trying to
ride with others. She is a very strong willed horse and can have a major
attitude (bucks and shakes head when asked to do something she doesn't
want too) - so I think that the competitiveness is there somewhere, but
will surface later. We will be doing a 30 km training ride in 2 weeks
and then another 80 km 2 weeks after that - all at the slow speed. I try
to do a 80 km ride with her once a month - just completions. Our
national finals are in July , and if we complete the 80 km next month we
will be qualified to attend the ride. This is a 3 day 200km ride. Do you
think this is too much for such a young horse? We will obviously be
doing this very slowly - again just a completion.What do you think - I
certainly don't want to strain her legs , tendons etc. I am absolutely
neurotic about legs after my gelding.
Regards,

Cindy Budler
National Contracts Department