Re: Radios -the spirit of Endurance

I agree, Bruce.  I am a HAM and fledgling endurance rider.  My husband is
also a HAM and pit crew.  Like any loved one, he worries about my safety
and is always trying to come up with ways to keep track of me.  In a ride
last year, I carried my HAM radio and a GPS.  Came upon a downed rider.
I notified my husband, who notified ride management, County Sherriff and
County Rescue.  With the GPS, I could radio to him the exact coordinates
of the rider in case we needed to call Flight for Life (didn't).  If
people want to take unfair advantage of other riders, there are numerous
ways to do it.  I do not have a pool to swim my horse in - is that
unfair?  Where do we draw the line?  I want to enjoy this sport and be
safe and if the technology I carry provides others with safety, fine!
And, if my husband calls me on the radio and says, "You're doing great,
Hon" ( and I'm in last place) and it's considered "prompting", so be it.

Jan Mutchler
jmutchler@juno.com

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998 21:36:26 -0600 "Bruce Murdock"
<bmurdock@cyberhighway.net> writes:
>I feel there is one other aspect of this issue, other than the
>prompting.
>And that is the issue of rider and equine safety.
>Bruce, KI7CI
>Emmett, ID

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]